HSHS Good Shepherd Hospital is a Catholic not-for-profit health care facility. The hospital is an affiliate of Hospital Sisters Health System founded by the Hospital Sisters of of St. Francis and sponsored by Hospital Sisters Ministries. Good Shepherd Hospital is a 30-bed hospital that provides emergency care, laboratory and imaging services in the the Shelbyville community 24/7. The hospital features an advanced surgery department, inpatient care, rehabilitative therapy and a wide variety of outpatient services. 

History

Formerly Shelby Memorial Hospital, HSHS Good Shepherd Hospital joined the Hospital Sisters Health System in January 2017. Providing quality health care to the Shelby County community has been a tradition of the hospital for more than 100 years.

The hospital was established in Shelbyville, the county seat, in 1916. During that year, a campaign was launched by Senator George D. Chaffee to bring health care services to the area. After residents and organizations worked tirelessly to build contributions for a hospital fund, work on the hospital building was started in 1917 and the new building, built on land that was formerly an old Lutheran Cemetery on South Cedar Street, was dedicated on July 4, 1918. The day the country celebrated its independence, Shelby County residents also celebrated their independence to have quality health care services in their own backyard.

About Shelbyville

HSHS Good Shepherd Hospital is the county’s only hospital. Shelbyville is located along the Kaskaskia River and has a population of almost 5,000 people. Founded in 1827, Shelbyville was named in honor of Isaac Shelby, hero of the Revolutionary War and Governor of Kentucky. In 1835, Barnett Bone, a Tennessean, built a log cabin along the Kaskaskia River. This early settlement became the first and only county courthouse.